Our curriculum relies on Socratic dialogue - rhetorical conversations involving respectful questioning and critical thinking - and the classical model of education called the Trivium as its academic corner stone. The three phases of the Trivium include:
- Grammar – (Grades K-5) In this phase students acquire fundamental knowledge in all disciplines.
- Logic– (Grades 6-8) As students become world-class citizens, they learn how to reason and debate. Students apply their knowledge as they discern and evaluate, compare and contrast, and discover cause and effect relationships in any given subject.
- Rhetoric – (Grades 9-12) As students progress through the Trivium, they learn to apply the rules of logic to the information they have acquired. Students learn to think rationally and articulate ideas effectively.
At Herron Preparatory Academy, which currently serves Kindergarten through 5th grade scholars, we are largely focused on the Grammar stage.
Scholars acquire fundamental knowledge in all disciplines.
- Literacy: Letters/sounds, words, sentences, composition, meaning
- Math: Conceptual understanding of units, basic fluency
- Arts: Elements of visual or performing media
- Sciences/Social Studies: Facts, dates, processes, relationships